week 13: reconsidering the superhero

This week we are required to read the batman: The killing joke. To be honest, I am not a big fan of the DC  universe, but I like this comic so far. The story is about Batman's foe, Joker escapes from the mental hospital. This time, he not only shot and wounded Barbara, the daughter of police chief Gordon but also kidnapped Gordon, trying to drive him crazy, to prove that madness is everyone's nature. The story not only made Batbara crippled from now on, but more importantly revealed the origin of Joker, adding depth to this character: in fact, this abominable criminal was originally a poor man, and as Barbara later complained-Batman was so The birth of a criminal also bears certain responsibilities. Another purpose is to emphasize the "equivalent" relationship between Batman and Joker. Although Batman and Joker stand on an irreconcilable stand, in fact, his heart is as crazy as Joker. He not only created his own enemies but also The criminals hunted down are spiritual twins. Bolland's pictures are nuanced, the characters' expressions are rich, the colors used by Higgins are strong, and Moore's story gives people a feeling of being absurd and realistic. I think the reason, why Gordon is not crazy, is that he knows that the clown will not kill him. He knows that Barbara is still alive. What he saw is that Barbara was abused. He knew that Batman came back. His consciousness is sober from beginning to end, but only very sad and angry. The clown is different, the two robber companions have just been killed by random guns around them. He had placed himself in the abyss, and thought he was being hunted down by "demons". And his wife and children are dead, he has no love at this time, he knows that no one will come to control him, will come to save him. His brain was chaotic ... and then fell into a heavy industry waste pond. So only the clown is crazy. these are some of my little thought about the comics.

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?
-My reaction to the text that I just read was admired and respected by these great people who dose a lot for the comic industry.

2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss what elements of the story with which you were able to connect?
-I think the connection between me and the story is that I have a hopeless moment before, same as Joker, but after I read the story, I feel like mine things are not even a thing compare to his, and think  I am very lucky that I do not have to through all these hopefulness things as him, I am glad that I have a normal family I had parents that loves me so much and I had a little sister that both I and my parents love.

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you choose; what changes would you make?
-I won't change a bit of it if I want to adapt this story to another medium, I will adapt it to a novel, a book, to gives the reader more space to use their imagination to think about the story deeper.

4. In what ways does this story differ from the typical expectations the reader might have for a superhero story?
-The ending I different then I thought, at first, I don even get the joke that Joker said to the batman, but after a while, I think about it, The two lunatics in the joke refer to Batman and the Joker. Batman jumped out (good), and the Joker did not (evil). The joker told this joke that Batman couldn't help him, and Batman started to laugh to show that he might be fatal In light of this view, the yellow light in the last few squares should be the flashlight light in the joke. The laughter and the light disappeared at the same time, indicating that Batman outside the wall turned off the flashlight and gave up the clown. The Joker just gave up helping himself to be good.

Comments

Popular Posts